Sunday, November 25, 2012

Our Maker

In a Sunday School lesson the teacher took a little time to tell us about her job as an architect. She drew out the floor plan for a building she designed, down to the placement of closets and wall outlets (and weird electrical issues) explaining that as the creator of this plan, which she had worked on for years, she knew everything about it.

She went on to set up the following scenario and then read a scripture:

Sometimes we find ourselves in a closet and all we want to do is get out! But, we don't have to just sit there waiting to move on to the next room -- we can spend some times learning everything there is to know about the closet. And we can call "the maker" and get details about it, about the walls and the floor -- down to the tiles.
3 Ne. 22:5
For thy maker, thy husband, the Lord of Hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel—the God of the whole earth shall he be called.
The Lord is our maker -- He knows everything about us (down to all our flaws and quirks) and when we find ourselves in some circumstance of life, that perhaps all we want to do is get out of, we are in an amazing position to call our "maker" and instead learn everything that we can from the situation we are in, the people we are around, and the experiences we are having. He knows what's there for us to find and learn, and we can leave that "closet" and move on to the next much better for the time we spent there.

I know this is true from my own experience in different "closets" and it has made a big difference in my attitude towards my present circumstances as well as my relationship with the Lord to learn the lesson of making the effort to get what I can from where I am and of going to my maker for instructions. I have seen His influence as my Maker to teach me and I have felt His love.

I am writing this down now because of what this same teacher finished her lesson with:
3 Ne. 23:4
Therefore give heed to my words; write the things which I have told you; and according to the time and the will of the Father they shall go forth unto the Gentiles.
How often are we given directions somewhere that we do not write down -- and then end up having to call the person we got directions from over and over for the next turn because we have forgotten the details of the directions we were given? If we would only write them down, we could follow from start finish!

I don't believe the Lord ever gets tired of our calling him for "directions" -- but He has nonetheless commanded us to write the things He tells us. I know that it is because by writing down our directions from Him we will find ourselves blessed later on with clear details on where to go next and our journey will be that much smoother and truer.

I am so grateful to my Sunday School teacher today and I hope these lessons are ones I will keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment